Vermicelli upma is a traditional pasta recipe for breakfast as well as healthy too. The version of this vermicelli upma is something that requires very less effort but when we talk about its taste then there is no words for it. Do you know that vermicelli is a first pasta that we Indians consumed. This is such an amazing breakfast recipe because it can be cooked in hundred different ways. I prefer to eat it in a healthy way because I am adding so many vegetables in it which is such a boon. Also this is healthy because I am using whole grain vermicelli as I do not want any compromise with health. You can also use fine flour vermicelli, it is totally up to you. This is a popular dish of South-Indians as they mostly have it in their breakfast time. I am making this whenever I want. Let’s make a quick, easy and a delicious recipe of vermicelli.
Ingredients For Vermicelli Upma
- Vermicelli = 1.5 cups
- Oil = 2 tbsp
- Pea = 1/2 cup
- Onion = 1, finely chopped
- Carrot = 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Green chili = 2, finely chopped
- Spring onion green = 1 tbsp
- Salt = as per taste
- Red chili powder = 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder = 1/3 tsp
- Curry leaves = 4 to 5
- Black Mustard seeds or rayi = 1 tsp
- Garlic = 2 to 3 cloves, finely chopped
- Ginger = 1/2 inch piece, finely chopped or grated
- Green beans = 1 tbsp
How To make It
Take a kadai or a wok, pour 2 tsp of oil in it and then add vermicelli in it. Roast it until a nice golden brown color appears.
Now take another pan, add water in it and let it boil. Add roasted vermicelli in boiling water and a pinch of salt in it. Mix it and let it boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
Sieve it or drain the water completely. Keep it aside.
Now take a pan, add oil in it and add mustard seeds. Let it splutter for few seconds and then add copped ginger and garlic in it. Saute it for 2 minutes.
Now add chopped onions and saute it until it turns translucent.
Now in onions, add all the veggies like beans, carrot, curry leaves, spring onion green. Saute them for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add spices like red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt in veggies and mix it well.
Now add enough water in veggies so that they have been cooked. Bring it to a boil.
Now add vermicelli in it and mix it with veggies. Mix it in a way so that vermicelli must not break.
Simmer the flame and let it cook for 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables get cooked.
Now transfer it in a serving plate and enjoy it.
- You can also add peanuts in it, I am not adding because I don’t like to eat it in upma.
- Also if you want, you can add black split gram, gram pulse in it for more flavor and taste.
- Using curry leaves makes it better in taste and give a rich flavor in it.
Image Source: nishkitchen.com