Kalmi Vada Recipe Basically, kalmi vada is a Rajasthani snack which is served as evening snack with tea but also made at the occasion of holi. An authentic and traditional recipe of Rajasthani cuisine made with chana dal (gram dal) that is flavoured with other essential ingredients and then deep fried. They are served with chutney and also popular at many places of India. So here I am sharing its easy yet delicious recipe for making these vada at home. Let’s know how to make them.
Necessary Ingredients Required For Kalmi Vada
- Split chickpea (chana dal) = 1.5 cup, soaked
- Coconut = 3 tbsp, grated
- Ginger = 1 inch piece, grated or chopped
- Garlic = 5 cloves, finely chopped
- Green chilies = 4, finely chopped
- Cumin seeds = 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds = 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder = 1/2 tsp
- Salt = as per taste
- Garam masala powder = 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder = 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves = 1 tbsp, chopped
- Oil = for frying
Firstly, rinse chana dal (gram dal) well and soak it in water for 5 to 6 hours.
After 6 hours, drain out all the water and put it into a blender jar. We don’t need any water while grinding dal, so make sure water must be drained out.
In grinder jar, add chopped ginger, garlic cloves, green chilies along with chana dal and then grind it into a coarse paste not in fine paste.
Method of Making Vada
Transfer the prepared paste to a mixing bowl and then add the other ingredients like red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, garam masala powder, fennel seeds, salt, grated coconut and some chopped coriander leaves.
Give this mixture a nice mix so that all the ingredients gets mixed evenly and combined well.
Once the mixture is ready, apply some oil on your palm and grease well.
Take a little portion from the mixture or around a big ball. Round it and then shape it into a square.
Put the oil on heat and add these prepared shapes into the oil and fry them only for 40 to 45 seconds by gently flipping them. (We are going to double fry them).
After 45 seconds, take them out from the oil and cut them into two to three pieces and then fry them again on a medium flame till they turn golden and crispier. (the process of double frying is to be done to make these vada more crispier and well cooked from the inside as well).
If you have less time, then you can make them half fry and while at the time of serving, just fry them again and they are ready to serve.
Your delicious crispy kalmi vada are now ready to serve. Serve these vada hot by sprinkle some chaat masala and serve them with green chutney and enjoy.
- If your mixture becomes too dry and does not in a binding form, then you can also add rice flour in it for binding. It will give crispiness and binding to the vada.
Read Out Some Other Snacks Recipes
- Sambar Vada Recipe | How To Make Sambar Vada At Home
- Chili Cheese Sabudana Vada Recipe | Sabudana (Sago) Vada Recipe
- Poha Vada Recipe | How To Make Poha (Flattened Rice) Vada
- Navratan Chutney Recipe | How To Make Navratan Chutney
Recipe Source: Rajshri Foods
Image Source: Ribbons To Pastas