Dhokla is a very popular snack from Gujarat. You can easily make soft and spongy restaurant style dhokla at home. Today I am going to share the recipe of khaman dhokla in easy steps. Whether its your tea time or you want to serve some new cuisine to your guests, dhokla is perfect.
Also read dhokla recipe in hindi
Required ingredients for khaman dhokla
- Gram flour = 1 cup
- Salt = 1/2 tspn
- Turmeric powder = 1/4 tspn
- Lime juice = 1 tspn
- Sugar = 1 tblspn
- Baking Soda = 1/4 tspn
- Baking powder = 1/2 tspn
For tempring (tadka)
- Oil = 2 tblspn
- Green chili = 2 (slit)
- Curry leaves = 4 to 5
- Sugar = 1 tblspn
- lime juice = 1 tspn
- Mustard seeds = 1/2 tspn
Method for making Gujrati khaman dhokla (step by step)
First of all we have to make Dhokla’s batter. Take a bowl, and add gram flour, salt and sugar into a bowl. Now mix them well. Make a batter by adding required water into the mixture.
“Remember that you do not have to add water frequently. Add water little by little, otherwise it gets lumps in the batter which is not good “
Now after making this batter, keep it for rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Put pressure cooker on a gas stove and add 1 glass water in the pressure cooker and pre-heat it for 10 minutes on the medium flame.
Take a mold in which you want to make your dhokla. Grease some oil in the mold.
Now add lime juice, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in the batter. Mix them well.
After mixing all the ingredients in the batter, transfer it immediately into the mold which we have greased earlier.
Set the batter into the mold by tapping it and now take a stand and put it in the pressure cooker and now put your dhokla mold in the pressure cooker.
Cover the lid of pressure cooker and remove the whistle. Cook it for 15 to 20 minutes on the high medium flame.
After the mentioned time, open the lid and take a knife or toothpick and dab it into the dhokla. If batter still sticks on the knife or toothpick then you have to cook it for more 5 minutes.
Now remove the mold from the cooker and after cooling it, with the help of knife cut the dhokla from the molds corner.
Now put the dhokla pieces into the serving plate.
- Take a pan and add 2 tablespoon of oil in the pan. After heating up of oil, add mustard seeds (raayi) into the oil. When it starts crackling, add curry leaves, green chili and sugar. Also add 1 glass of water along with the sugar. let sugar dissolve in the water.
- After dissolving the sugar, add lime juice in the tempring .
- Tempring is ready. Now add the tempring on the Dhokla.
Dhokla is ready to serve. Enjoy it with your friends and family.
- Make the batter in the right consistency to make you dhokla spongy and soft.
- You can also add semolina (suji) along with the gram flour.
- You can also use a sachet of eno in the batter to fermentate it.
- You can also skip the lime juice if you do not like sour taste.